Ports and their dependencies

Tabitha McNerney tabithamc at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 09:17:51 PDT 2008

On 6/9/08, Joshua Root <jmr at macports.org> wrote:

> markd at macports.org wrote:
> > How is it described better in the man page?
>

> The man page says what lib,bin,path mean:
>
> > type:<filename>:<port>
> >
> >      may be used. Where type is "bin" if <filename> is a program, "lib"
> >      if it is a library, or "path" if it is a path to an installed file.

Reading this and also the previous posts, the condition of "path" being a
path to an "installed file" (and given Ryan's example in a different thread
whereby the php5 port with the mysql5 variant added triggers the depends_lib
of a path whose path value leads to a possibly installed configuration file
(but this configuration file only exists if the mysql5_dev port has been
installed) kind of strikes me as a means to confusion because such a
dependency isn't really a "non-port" then right? In other words, an
"installed file" which has a path that only exists if the port responsible
for installing that file has itself been built and installed, then really
that's not a "non-port" unlike a lib: or bin: which could be, say, an Apple
Mac OS X provided resource (library or binary). True? Granted, from a pure
syntactical standpoint, the "path: ..." is not the same as a "port: ..." and
thus I can see why its categorized as a "non-port".

Thanks,

T.M.

The guide also doesn't explicitly state that the thing at the end of the