Ports and their dependencies

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Mon Jun 9 20:47:33 PDT 2008

markd at macports.org wrote:
>> All jokes aside, would it be helpful to take the great
>> explanations you have all written and integrating them into chapter 5.4.1
>> of
>> the MacPorts Guide
>> <http://guide.macports.org/#reference.dependencies.types>? Is this
>> something that would benefit the MacPorts Community (even though I
>> might have been one of the first people to ask such questions explicitly)?
>
> I renamed "non-port dependencies" to "file dependencies".  See what you
> think of the revisions in r37493.  It can be refined further if necessary.
>  Thanks to Joshua and Ryan for the explanations.
>
> http://trac.macports.org/changeset/37493

Looks good, thanks. I found a couple of bugs though:

Line 14/15: "though you may remove one with a build dependency"
should be "though you may remove one that is a build dependency".

Line 100/101: "Note that the <replaceable>&lt;port&gt;</replaceable>
specified is only installed if the file the specified library, binary,
or file is not found."
Need to remove "the file".

And one that was incorrect all along: "upgrading a port will
upgrade its library and build dependencies also, but not its run
dependencies." Runtime dependencies are in fact upgraded.

- Josh