Is "MacPort" a valid term?

markd at macports.org markd at macports.org
Tue Jun 10 09:43:34 PDT 2008

>For a long time, I thought that when people were saying port, in this
>discussion, I thought the were referring to a port or a tcp/ip address.
>like localhost:80

Clarity is one of the reasons that in the past I frequently used the term
"MacPorts port" (to distinguish it from FreeBSD and other port systems),
but this is too cumbersome and inelegant when used a lot so I mostly
curtailed that.  Using the term "MacPort" would make the term clear, but
is that really a valid term in current usage?  It seems we're only
comfortable with the plural form, and I think that is why we always fall
back to the more generic "port" to express a single MacPorts port.

Mark