Is "MacPort" a valid term?

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Wed Jun 11 11:22:29 PDT 2008

On Jun 11, 2008, at 10:33 AM, Rainer Müller wrote:

> I dislike 'MacPort', but I like the term 'mport'.

I dunno, that just doesn't seem to roll off the tongue and also
suffers from excessive contraction at the wrong place.  If, for
example, you were trying to come up with a more convenient way of
distinguishing "pickup truck" from "semi tractor trailer truck" then
it's just not human nature (at least not anywhere I know of) to call
one a ptruck and the other an struck.  Here in the US, for example, we
call one a pickup and the other a semi, and people have no trouble
with those contractions.  I don't know what you folks in Germany call
pickups since I hardly ever saw any there, but the latter are called
LKVs (short for "Leistungskraftwagen", one of German's shorter
words :)) which is also a fine abbreviation (the germans pronounce it
as "ell-kah-veh which, if you say it quickly, is a rather
pronounceable nice word of its own) and also kind of supports my point.

Mmm-port is how you'd pronounce mport in english, and I don't think
that's very phonetically pleasing.  I'd almost prefer to call it a
McPort and wait to see if the McDonalds people complain (I kind of
doubt they will, that ship already sailed when the term "McMansion"
became popular in the US for describing overly large new houses built
by the newly wealthy).

- Jordan