upgrades fail after leopard update

Alan Batie alan at batie.org
Fri Jun 13 00:35:35 PDT 2008

Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>>   if there's a change from what's installed, replace what's installed
>>> with the new version
>
> MacPorts has no way to know "if there's a change from what's
> installed"

Given that you can say "port installed" to list what's installed, there
must be some sort of registration that could be compared with what would
be recorded if the port were built "now".

 > merely upgrading
> the Xcode version is no reason (usually) to force a port to be
> rebuilt (though if we store the Xcode version, we could then make
> exceptions for known-bad Xcode versions).

The ease of being able to just say "port upgrade installed" and going
home for the night (or to bed or work on a home machine) would make it
worth the time of doing unnecessary rebuilds.  Keep good logs of course,
in case of problems.  If you really want to get fancy, support
checkpointing and reversion in case of errors, but let's not go there
now ;-)

The quick fix for right now would be to just add "reinstall" where it
just rebuilds what it's already got.  As it is now, my ports registry is
basically messed up (though not enough to really break it) because to
get my mail archive going again, I just did "port install dovecot" and
it installed the latest version over the top of the old one, and now as
far as the ports system is concerned I have a couple different versions
installed.  I suppose it's a "bug" that it did that, but it was a
feature in this instance.  Hmm.  I seem to have managed 3 somehow:

[1] $ port installed | grep dove
   dovecot @1.0.0_0+darwin_8
   dovecot @1.0.13_0+darwin_8+darwin_9 (active)
   dovecot @1.0.13_0+darwin_9

Anyhow, the point is that all the fancy stuff is all well and nice, but
just a basic rebuild would be a 90% solution.

Actually, the problem seems even smaller --- it looks like "port upgrade
one-port" is working, it's the "installed" arg that for some reason
isn't creating an expected file that's blocking the way...

Though I was able to upgrade gettext, but popt is still complaining, so
I suppose when I get a chance, I'll have to debug it and file a real bug
report:

checking for GNU xgettext... configure: error:
   *** GNU gettext is required. The latest version
   *** is always available from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gettext/.

Error: Unable to upgrade port: 1