Mercurial install after MacPython.app, Leopard, Google App Engine

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sun Jun 15 18:04:07 PDT 2008

Phil Rand wrote:
 > [Dealing with a previous installation of python outside MacPorts]

I don't know why py25-* failed for you, MacPorts sanitizes PATH for
building, so it should really not use some version from outside.

mercurial calls /opt/local/bin/python instead of
/opt/local/bin/python2.5. This is ticket #14536 [1]. But this might be
fixed by the new python25 port building as framework I created.

> I uninstalled all the deps for mercurial, and installed python25.  It
> did not install /opt/local/bin/python, only /opt/local/bin/python2.5.
> After that the python extensions py25-zlib, py25-hashlib, py25-bz2
> woudn't install until I created a symbolic link:  cd /opt/local/bin;
> ln -s python2.5 python
>
> Is it expected for the python25 port NOT to create
> /opt/local/bin/python, but only /opt/local/bin/python2.5?  Is there a
> better workaround than my symbolic link?

As we provide multiple versions, there is python_select (can be
installed by the port of the same name) to create this symlink.

$ sudo python_select python25

> And I guess another lesson here is that installing a package in
> multiple locations can lead to confusion.  No surprise there.
>
> What is the MacPorts strategy to deal with a situation where OSX comes
> with some version of a package like python for which people will want
> to install add-ons?  I'm assuming it is "Install our own copy in the
> usual locations in /opt/local, and depend on PATH and other
> environment variables to keep the MacPorts version from fighting with
> the OSX version, right?  It's not very clean, but I'm sure we don't
> want MacPorts modifying OSX-supplied components.

We do not provide python modules for Apple's python, you need to install
python from MacPorts as well.

Reasons are given in the FAQ [2].

> Thanks for reading this far.  I hope my example might save somebody
> else some frustration.

I can understand if you are frustrated here, the install is not as
flawless as it could be.

Rainer

[1] http://trac.macports.org/ticket/14536
[2]