[dia] cannot compile : configure: error: perl not found; required for intltool

Brian Flaherty bxf4 at u.washington.edu
Fri Jun 20 10:34:15 PDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 06:23:33PM +0200, Damien Clauzel wrote:
> Le 20 juin 08 à 17:46, Brian Flaherty a écrit :
>
>>>  perl is present, but configure fails. Any idea on how to solve this
>>> ?
>>
>> This looks a lot like problems I was having on my laptop.  If you go
>> to the dia directory (cd `port dir dia`, I think) and look at the
>> config.log.  What are the paths?  In my case, PREFIX was not being
>> handled correctly and appeared in the config.log.  My guess is that it
>> should have been /opt/local/.
> I am attaching the log file for full reference (/opt/local/var/
> macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/gnome/dia/work/
> dia-0.96.1/config.log)

I think your paths look right, so it is a different problem than what
I had.

>> One thing I did just to get things installed, was to do it by hand.
>> This is my recollection of how:
>>
>> - change to the work directory for dia
>> - look at the Portfile for dia to see if there are any configure
>>  arguments  (I just looked at it and there are a fair number of
>>  arguments and I don't know where they all go.  Also, there's a patch
>>  file to apply, and I'm not sure I know how to do that by hand.)
>> - run sudo ./configure --configure-args-from-portfile
> Didn't work for me.

There were several compiler flags in the Portfile.  Did you get all
those into the build environment?

> But I can successfully do this :
> ___
> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/gnome/
> dia/work/dia-0.96.1 $ ./configure --prefix=/opt/local

When you did this, did configure find perl?  If so, then I think that
means there's something different between your shell environment and
the MacPort's build environment.  One person suggested I check if any
variables in macports.conf that could interfere
(/opt/local/etc/macports/macports.conf on my system).  If that's the
case, is there some way to fully compare the two shell environments?

> [SNIP]
>
> Configuration:
> 	Source code location:	.
> 	Compiler:		gcc
>
> 	Gnome support:				no
> 	Python support:				no
> 	Libart support (PNG export):		yes
> 	Cairo support (experimental):		no
> 	Gnome Print support (experimental):	no
>
> Now type make to build dia...
>
> ___
>
> Then the compilation fails near the end :
> ___
> Making all in po
> /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/release/ports/gnome/
> dia/work/dia-0.96.1/po
> file=`echo am | sed 's,.*/,,'`.gmo \
> 	  && rm -f $file &&  -o $file am.po
> /bin/sh: -o: command not found
> make[2]: *** [am.gmo] Error 127
> make[1]: *** [all-recursiv
> ___
>
> Obviously, a variable is missing.

I don't know where to go from here.  Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Brian