Recommendations for converting WAV to MP3?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Jun 28 02:12:34 PDT 2008

On Jun 28, 2008, at 03:33, Tabitha McNerney wrote:

> I noticed among MacPorts there is a collection of audio-related
> tools -- many of them in fact. Can someone recommend a command-line
> tool to convert (one or batch) WAV files to MP3 format? Something
> simple would be great. I just have no idea where to start (audio is
> not my forte).

Honestly, I'd recommend Apple's iTunes. Drag all your WAV files into
iTunes. Then go to iTunes - Preferences - Advanced - Importing and
set your encoding settings the way you want them (MP3 or AAC (a.k.a.
M4A), bitrate, mono/stereo, etc.). Then select all your imported WAV
files in the library and choose "Convert Selection to MP3" (or "to
AAC") from the Advanced menu. Then you can delete the WAV files from
iTunes.