Recommendations for converting WAV to MP3?

Chris Janton face at CentosPrime.COM
Sat Jun 28 06:16:59 PDT 2008

On 2008-06-28 , at 02:33 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> But if you repeatedly want to convert batches of files, then you're
> right, a script is needed, and though AppleScript could work, a
> command-line utility might serve better. A popular mp3 encoder is
> "lame", for which a MacPorts port exists. I haven't used it myself,
> but maybe it will work for you. Looking through the output of "port
> search mp3" I also see "bladeenc" which might work too.

Try this -

sudo port install ffmpeg +lame +extvorbis +faac +faad +xvid +x264

Now you can translate like this

ffmpeg -i ./imaprofessional.wav -y -acodec libmp3lame -ab 128k ./b.mp3
2&>/dev/null

which says take the input file "imaprofessional.wav" overwrite output
files (-y) use audio codec libmp3lame (-acodec) with an audio bitrate
of 128K (-ab) with file ./b.mp3 as output - please put all of the
chatter on stderr onto /dev/null

8)