rsync refusal in MacPorts 1.6.0 install: still busted.

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Mar 3 10:23:57 PST 2008

On Mar 3, 2008, at 05:30, Kevin Frost wrote:

> Greetings.  I thought you might be interested to know that the
> problem described here is still present:
>
> http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2008-January/
> 008199.html
>
> I got exactly the same error, persistently, when running the
> installer on a fresh Leopard on a G4 Powerbook 15" (last model made).
>
> Running from behind a firewall and not behind a firewall both gave
> the same error.  The network connection itself was fine, a standard
> residential DSL with no other problems.
>
> About 10 minutes after the installer package failed (non-firewall)
> with the rsync refusal, `port -d selfupdate` appeared to work (see
> below).
>
> The software is working fine now.  However, I think it's a pretty
> major bug: I had to look in the install log to get the hint about
> selfupdate, and I can easily imagine people never getting that
> far.  While you could argue that the target audience should know
> how to solve this problem, I do think at least some people look to
> MacPorts to make the whole "Unix thing" less difficult, and at the
> moment the installer makes it pretty difficult.
>
> Anyhow, I still love MacPorts.  Please escalate for the sake of the
> noobs.  ;-)
>
> cheers
>
> -- frosty
>

> Quoth port -d selfupdate:
>
> kfrost at pb15 ~ $ sudo port -d selfupdate
> Password:
> DEBUG: Rebuilding the MacPorts base system if needed.
> DEBUG: Synchronizing ports tree(s)
> Synchronizing local ports tree from rsync://rsync.macports.org/
> release/ports/
> DEBUG: /usr/bin/rsync -rtzv --delete-after rsync://
> rsync.macports.org/release/ports/ /opt/local/var/macports/sources/
> rsync.macports.org/release/ports
> receiving file list ... done
> www/webkit-gtk/
>
> sent 74 bytes  received 314844 bytes  3297.57 bytes/sec
> total size is 16975633  speedup is 53.90
> DEBUG: MacPorts base dir: /opt/local/var/macports/sources/
> rsync.macports.org/release/base
> DEBUG: Setting user: root
>
> MacPorts base version 1.600 installed
> DEBUG: Updating using rsync
> receiving file list ... done
>
> sent 73 bytes  received 6685 bytes  13516.00 bytes/sec
> total size is 3962384  speedup is 586.32
>
> Downloaded MacPorts base version 1.600
>
> The MacPorts installation is not outdated and so was not updated
> DEBUG: Setting ownership to root
> selfupdate done!
> kfrost at pb15 ~ $

I agree this should be fixed. We definitely want to make MacPorts
easier to use. I'm sending this to the macports-users mailing list
also so that people see again that it's still a problem in 1.6.0. I
don't remember if this has already been fixed in trunk. Our release
manager has been busy with other things which is why there hasn't
been a new MacPorts release in awhile, though we already have many
new things in trunk that should be released.