RMagick build failure (10.5)

William Gallafent william at gallaf.net
Thu Mar 6 07:43:43 PST 2008

On 6 Mar 2008, at 06:15, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> This bug has already been filed in the issue tracker:
>
> http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/ticket/14271
>
> Unfortunately this port has no maintainer, and I don't know how to
> fix it. Suggestions welcome.

Hmm, I tweaked the configure.ac to search for libraries in a more
sensible way, but at the moment autoreconf -fiv fails for me with the
following, so I can't test my fix. I know very little about
autoheader, so does anyone have any idea how to fix autoheader
failures of this type? The AC_CONFIG_HEADERS seems to be called with
an appropriate header file including '#undef BLAH' for these defines,
and there are AC_DEFINE macros in configure.ac which look OK to my
untrained eye.

-----
autoreconf: Entering directory `.'
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Gettext
autoreconf: running: aclocal --force
autoreconf: configure.ac: tracing
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Libtool
autoreconf: running: /opt/local/bin/autoconf --force
autoreconf: running: /opt/local/bin/autoheader --force
autoheader: warning: missing template: GRAPHICSMAGICK
autoheader: Use AC_DEFINE([GRAPHICSMAGICK], [], [Description])
autoheader: warning: missing template: HAVE_ACQUIRESTRINGINFO
autoheader: warning: missing template: HAVE_ALLCHANNELS
autoheader: warning: missing template: HAVE_CINEONLOGRGBCOLORSPACE
autoheader: warning: missing template: HAVE_COALESCELAYER
autoheader: warning: missing template: HAVE_COLORDODGECOMPOSITEOP
autoheader: warning: missing template: HAVE_DSTCOMPOSITEOP
autoheader: warning: missing template: HAVE_GETCOLORINFOLIST
autoheader: warning: missing template: HAVE_GETIMAGEQUANTUMDEPTH
autoheader: warning: missing template: HAVE_GETMAGICKINFOLIST
autoheader: warning: missing template: HAVE_GETMAGICKPIXELPACKET
autoheader: warning: missing template: HAVE_GETTYPEINFOLIST
autoheader: warning: missing template: HAVE_GRAYCHANNEL
autoheader: warning: missing template: HAVE_HSBCOLORSPACE
autoheader: warning: missing template: HAVE_IMAGE_EXTRACT_INFO
autoheader: warning: missing template: HAVE_INDEXCHANNEL
autoheader: warning: missing template: HAVE_JPEG2000COMPRESSION
autoheader: warning: missing template: HAVE_LABCOLORSPACE
autoheader: warning: missing template: HAVE_LOGCOLORSPACE
autoheader: warning: missing template: HAVE_MAGICKBOOLEANTYPE
autoheader: warning: missing template: HAVE_MAXEVALUATEOPERATOR
autoheader: warning: missing template: HAVE_NEW_COLORINFO
autoheader: warning: missing template: HAVE_NEW_REMOVEIMAGEPROFILE
autoheader: warning: missing template: HAVE_OLD_GETCOLORINFOLIST
autoheader: warning: missing template: HAVE_OLD_GETIMAGEQUANTUMDEPTH
autoheader: warning: missing template: HAVE_OLD_GETMAGICKINFOLIST
autoheader: warning: missing template: HAVE_OLD_GETTYPEINFOLIST
autoheader: warning: missing template: HAVE_PALETTEBILEVELMATTETYPE
autoheader: warning: missing template: HAVE_QUANTUMPIXEL
autoheader: warning: missing template: HAVE_REC601LUMACOLORSPACE
autoheader: warning: missing template: HAVE_REC601YCBCRCOLORSPACE
autoheader: warning: missing template: HAVE_REC709LUMACOLORSPACE
autoheader: warning: missing template: HAVE_REC709YCBCRCOLORSPACE
autoheader: warning: missing template: HAVE_REPLACECOMPOSITEOP
autoheader: warning: missing template:
HAVE_TRANSPARENTVIRTUALPIXELMETHOD
autoheader: warning: missing template: HAVE_UNDEFINEDGRAVITY
autoheader: warning: missing template: MAGICKNAME
autoheader: warning: missing template: RUBY_VERSION_STRING
autoreconf: /opt/local/bin/autoheader failed with exit status: 1
-----

There is a trivial workaround to get rmagick installed, though:

sudo port install rb-rubygems
sudo gem install rmagick

I'm tempted to suggest that the rb-rmagick port be altered to simply
do this instead of building rmagick from source, but there may be
connotations of which I'm not aware which make that a bad idea.