macports, gprof and leopard?

Brian Barnes bcbarnes at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 15:37:25 PST 2008

Hello,

Last week, I changed from Tiger (10.4.11, Xcode 2.4.1, MP 1.6.0) to a
fresh install of Leopard (10.5.2 and Xcode 3.0).  I'm now finding
that /usr/bin/gprof does not profile a program compiled with gfortran-
mp-4.2 and its -pg flag.  I'm pretty sure this worked in the past (am
I wrong?).

I thought perhaps it had to do with the system's gprof not being
compatible with macports-supplied compilers, so I installed the
binutils port (as gprof is provided by binutils on my Fedora box), but
no auxiliary gprof was installed in /opt/local/bin.

Does anyone have gprof working with port gcc42's gfortran in Leopard?
How can I make this work?

In the meantime, I started using Xcode's Shark, which is an incredible
tool (honestly: much better than gprof.  I will probably continue
using it).  But I am still kind of curious as to what's going on with
gprof.

sincerely,

Brian