where did GVim.app go?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Mar 9 03:02:12 PDT 2008

On Mar 8, 2008, at 13:33, Rainer Müller wrote:

> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> Shouldn't the existing PowerPC binary work on Intel Macs through
>> Rosetta?
>
> It kept crashing for me as I tried it. So I decided to disable it.

Gotcha.

>> "sudo port install graphviz +gui" installs a PowerPC app even on
>> Intels. No problem.
>
> Even if it works, I think we should stop shipping binaries in
> MacPorts.
> After all, this is a source distribution.

Well, when source is not available, or its compilation is
problematic, binaries are our only hope to get the software into
MacPorts. Examples:

graphviz +gui is difficult to compile; a new gui is being written
which will hopefully compile easier, but it's Leopard-only
blender compilation is complicated
oracle-instantclient has no source available
isightcapture has no source available
minivmac is stuck at 2.8.2 because compiling 3.0 and later requires
running a program within minivmac.... so we either bootstrap with a
binary or just install the binary and be done with it

I'm sure there are other examples.