'rsync' failure trying to install MacPorts 1.6.0

Dushan Mitrovich dushanm at spinn.net
Tue Mar 11 02:58:35 PDT 2008

I had downloaded the MacPorts-1.6.0.dmg file but failed trying to install
it on my Mac Pro system (4 processors), apparently because 'rsync' failed.

This appears to be the same problem that Bill Hernandez wrote about ear-
lier, but I didn't see any solution offered.  Is there one?

Below are the particulars of my system, and what I've tried.  Thanks for
all help and suggestions.

- Dushan Mitrovich

I'm running OS X.4.11, build 852167, and have installed both X11 (from the
Mac OSX install disk) and Xcode 2.5 (downloaded from the Apple site), in
that order.  X11user and X11sdk both show up in the /Library/Receipts
directory.  The result of typing 'uname -a' in Terminal (for clarity the
lines are indented and wrapped, with the continuation lines indented an
extra 2 spaces; the first line and the '=>' on the second are part of the
prompt):

             --------------------- begin ----------------------
  [~]$
  => uname -a
  Darwin Mac-Mar08 8.11.1 Darwin Kernel Version 8.11.1: Wed Oct 10 18:23:28
    PDT 2007; root:xnu-792.25.20~1/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386
              --------------------- end ----------------------

Neither '/usr/local' nor '/sw' directories exist.

During the MacPorts install (I have an admin account) the progress bar
went quickly to about the 80% point, then stalled, and then gave way to
a message that there was an error during the install and to try again.
Here are the contents of the MacPorts install log file:

             --------------------- begin ----------------------
  Mar 10 11:55:30 Mac-Mar08 : Localized installer scripts detected in the
    MacPorts-1.6.0 package. Switching to compatibility mode.
  Mar 10 11:55:42 Mac-Mar08 : Localized installer scripts detected in the
    MacPorts-1.6.0 package. Switching to compatibility mode.
  Mar 10 11:56:21 Mac-Mar08 : Localized installer scripts detected in the
    MacPorts-1.6.0 package. Switching to compatibility mode.
  Mar 10 11:56:21 Mac-Mar08 : Localized installer script preflight found in
    the MacPorts-1.6.0 package. Using compatibility mode.
  Mar 10 11:56:21 Mac-Mar08 : Localized installer script postflight found in
    the MacPorts-1.6.0 package. Using compatibility mode.
  Mar 10 11:56:22 Mac-Mar08 : Localized installer script preflight found in
    the MacPorts-1.6.0 package. Using compatibility mode.
  Mar 10 11:56:22 Mac-Mar08 : Localized installer script postflight found in
    the MacPorts-1.6.0 package. Using compatibility mode.
  Mar 10 11:57:39 Mac-Mar08 : Install failed: The following install step
    failed: run postflight script for MacPorts
               --------------------- end ----------------------

Next I tried to execute the 'postflight' file manually from Terminal.  That
also failed.  Here is the transscript of that attempt (the first line below
shows the directory):

              --------------------- begin ----------------------
  [/Volumes/MacPorts-1.6.0/MacPorts-1.6.0.pkg/Contents/Resources/English.lproj]$
  => ./postflight

  Checking the shell environment for user "dushanm"...

  /bin/bash: line 11: 0: command not found
  Your shell already has the right MANPATH environment variable for use with
    MacPorts!
  Your shell already has the right DISPLAY environment variable for use with
    MacPorts!

  Synchronizing the MacPorts installation with the project's rsync server...

  Synchronizing local ports tree from rsync://rsync.macports.org/release/ports/
  rsync: failed to connect to rsync.macports.org: Operation timed out (60)
  rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at
    /SourceCache/rsync/rsync-24.1/rsync/clientserver.c(94)
  Error: /opt/local/bin/port: port selfupdate failed: Couldn't sync the ports
    tree: Synchronization the local ports tree failed doing rsync
  An attempt to synchronize your recent MacPorts installation with the project's
    rsync server failed!
  Please run 'port -d selfupdate' manually to find out the cause of the error.

When I ran 'port' from the /opt/local/bin directory, I got: