Installation issues, Leopard Quad G5, 1.6.0 DMG

Adrian Nier bringit at mac-spezialist.de
Tue Mar 11 11:23:45 PDT 2008

Hello Alex,

you need to create a missing file or give the full path to the port
executable. The latter solution means that you have to enter the
following on the command line:

sudo /opt/local/bin/port -d selfupdate

The better solution is to create a file called '.profile' in your home
directory. In this file you specify additional directories that are to
be scanned for executables and manual entries. The MacPorts
installation fails to create this file, so you have to create it
manually.

To do so copy the following text…

export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH
export MANPATH=/opt/local/share/man:$MANPATH

…then enter the following command into a new terminal window:

pico ~/.profile

Paste the text into the terminal window. Press ctrl-x to exit pico,
press the 'y' key to confirm that you want to save and press the
return key to confirm that the filename should be .profile.

The last thing to do is to close the terminal window and open up a new
one. Now you will have access to the port executable just by typing
'port'.

Best regards,

Adrian