Problem involving automake/aclocal versions while installing tripwire

Kurt L. e1-8k5h-c8zc-bf19 at emailias.com
Tue Mar 11 11:54:31 PDT 2008

Hi, I'm setting up a new Tiger 10.4.11 machine, and I'd like to run
tripwire (as I used to do on my old Tiger machine).  I installed the
latest Macports a few days ago, and tried installing tripwire with the
usual 'sudo port install tripwire' command.  All the dependencies
download and build just fine, but when it tries to build the actual
tripwire source I get this:

<snip>
--->  Building tripwire with target all
Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd
"/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_security_tripwire/work/tripwire-2.4.1.2-src"
&& make all " returned error 2
Command output:  cd . && /bin/sh
/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_security_tripwire/work/tripwire-2.4.1.2-src/missing
--run automake-1.10 --foreign
configure.in:8: version mismatch.  This is Automake 1.10.1,
configure.in:8: but the definition used by this AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
configure.in:8: comes from Automake 1.10.  You should recreate
configure.in:8: aclocal.m4 with aclocal and run automake again.
WARNING: `automake-1.10' is needed, and you do not seem to have it handy
on your
         system.  You might have modified some files without having the
         proper tools for further handling them.  Check the `README'
         file,
         it often tells you about the needed prerequirements for
         installing
         this package.  You may also peek at any GNU archive site, in
         case
         some other package would contain this missing `automake-1.10'
         program.
make: *** [Makefile.in] Error 1

>From googling a bit appears that normally aclocal and automake are kept
in sync, and the aclocal.m4 file generated by aclocal has its version
number embedded in it.  Automake is reading this file, and finds that
that the aclocal version doesn't match its (automake's) version, and
thus the barf.  It appears that the choices are to downgrade to automake
1.10, or run a 1.10.1 version of aclocal to generate an aclocal.m4 file
that automake will accept; the output above seems to suggest two
different actions.  I favor the latter option of generating a new
aclocal with the higher version aclocal utility.  Does anyone have any
hints on how to reach into the process to do the latter (generate with
aclocal version 1.10.1)?  I guess I could re-run the install again with
verbose turned on to see where it generates aclocal.m4, and then try
mucking with some script to redirect it to an as-yet-unfound version of
aclocal 1.10.1 somewhere in the directory under /opt...  any shortcuts
to solution appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Kurt