Unable to execute port: can't read "sysroot": no such variable

Chris Pickel sfiera at macports.org
Wed Mar 12 09:17:27 PDT 2008

On 12 Mar, 2008, at 12:07, Olga Lyashevskaya wrote:
>> Have you upgraded to Leopard recently? If so, did
>> you install the new
>> version of Xcode? This kind of error often appears
>> when people try to
>> use Tiger's Xcode on Leopard.
>
> It is a new iMac, and it came with Leopard on it, so I
> presume that Xcode must be ok. How can I check it?
>
> How can I install things with MacPorts? Sorry for my
> ignorance, I am not very experienced with Mac. So far
> I worked mostly on Linux, and now by using MacPorts I
> just want to be able to use programs which are
> originally developed for Linux (like dia in this case)

If it's brand new, it probably doesn't have Xcode (most Mac users
don't have a need for a compiler and development environment, but
MacPorts does). You'll need to install Xcode 3.0, either from the CDs
that came with the computer, or [Apple's developer site][1].

[1] http://developer.apple.com/tools/download/

Regards,

Chris