'rsync' failure trying to install MacPorts 1.6.0 - SOLVED!

Dushan Mitrovich dushanm at spinn.net
Thu Mar 13 01:43:28 PDT 2008

Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
> Same question to you that I asked to Bill.  Does your network allow
> traffic on the rsync port?

Bill and Ryan,

Thanks to your prodding questions, I got the rsync problem fixed, as well
as another one (no FTP) that has bugged me for months.  The problem in my
case turned out to be the firewall in my GT-701 ActionTec DSL modem.

I called up ActionTec Support in near-desperation just to see if they
might have any ideas, and described the problems I'd been having.  The
response was that those were exactly the problems I'd get with the fire-
wall turned on, and that I should turn it off completely.  There were
four settings, High, Medium, Low, and Off, and mine had been set to High.

He explained that I was still protected from Internet mischief by the SPI
(Stateful Packet Inspection).  I'd never heard of SPI before, but looked
it up and found a Wiki explanation about it being a recent type of fire-
wall that checks to make sure that incoming packets really do belong in
the accepted incoming stream.  Ones that don't are rejected.

So I turned the ActionTec firewall off, and Bingo!, the MacPorts install
went to completion.  Even more cheering for me was that now FTP worked on
the Mac - tho it has been working fine all along from the Parallels Vir-
tual Machine running eComStation 1.2.  I certainly don't understand the
mechanics of all this, but am delighted that things now work.

I hope these observations are helpful to others as well.  Thanks much
for directing me to the relevant issue.

- Dushan