darwinports vs macports

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Mar 15 01:39:05 PDT 2008

On Mar 14, 2008, at 22:45, Kurt Andrews wrote:

> Folks,
> all of my experience with building applications on a unix platform
> is with ant and a java environment and this is the first time I've
> tried to use darwinports.  I tried it because I wanted a copy of
> scite for my mac.  I'm running one of the first intel based mac
> minis with the latest version of Tiger.
>
> Following the instructions on the website
>
>> This is a two-step process and is easy to get working. The first
>> step is to download and run the Darwin Ports installer located
>> here:download.darwinports.com. The second step is to update the
>> ports so that they are current on your Mac. To do this, open a
>> terminal window and check the project out of the CVS repository
>> with the following command and enter the root password when prompted:
>>
>> % sudo port -d selfupdate
>> Password:
>
> I downloaded the binaries for darwinports ver 1.5 and let it do the
> default install
> sudo port would run even if /opt/local/bin was the current
> directory so I added /opt/local/bin to the path like so:
> once the selfupdate was running I started seeing some messages
> about macports that's when I started getting confused but pressed on
> I tried to cd to /opt/local/bin/portslocation/dports/scite but that
> directory didn't exist
> I just ran sudo port install scite from the /opt/local/bin
> directory and it went off and started pulling down what I hope were
> just scite's dependencies, but I was a little worried because I
> wasn't running the install from the directory specified on the
> website.  Eventually the install failed with the following error:
> --->  Fetching XFree86
> Error: Target org.macports.fetch returned:
>
>                     You have an Apple X11SDK installation already.
>                         MacPorts will not overwrite it.
>
>                     If you wish to use Apple X11,
>                         install it from your Mac OS X install disc.
>
>                     If you really want to use XFree86 instead,
>                         please move it aside first :
>
>                             sudo mv /usr/X11R6 /usr/X11R6.apple
>
> Error: The following dependencies failed to build: gtk2 cairo
> xrender XFree86 gtk-doc docbook-xml-4.1.2 xmlcatmgr docbook-xsl
> libxml2 perl5.8 scrollkeeper docbook-xml docbook-xml-4.2 docbook-
> xml-4.3 docbook-xml-4.4 docbook-xml-4.5 libxslt p5-xml-parser jpeg
> pango Xft2 xorg-xproto xorg-util-macros tiff xorg
>
> Based on this experience I've got a couple of questions
> Does macports 1.6 replace darwinports 1.5 and should I be using
> macports instead
> If I should be using macports 1.6 do I need to uninstall
> darwinports and install macports.
> The macports installation instructions talk about installing x11
> support and XCode support which sounds like it may be related to
> the error above but I don't understand the instructions in light of
> the fact that I've already got x11 installed
> can someone please provide detailed instructions on how to clean
> things up and move forward.  I can provide the output from the
> [...]

The project currently known as MacPorts used to be known as
DarwinPorts. Two main situations caused the name change: 1) The focus
of the project changed to providing the best Mac OS X package
manager, rather than trying to also provide a package manager for the
stand-alone Darwin OS, which almost none of the port developers use
and therefore almost none of the ports are tested on, and 2) the
official web site was www.darwinports.org but someone not affiliated
with the project set up a rogue web at www.d*****ports.com with
conflicting and inaccurate information.

Please do not refer to www.d*****ports.com for any information about
the MacPorts project. Please refer to www.macports.org only. See our
wonderful guide at guide.macports.org. Please read Chapter 2:
Installing MacPorts and Chapter 3: Using MacPorts. May I ask what led
you to www.d*****ports.com in the first place? I understand that
unfortunately it scores a rather higher PageRank in Google... I wish
it were not so, and I would like to know how to change that.

To upgrade from DarwinPorts to MacPorts, or MacPorts to any future
version, run "sudo port selfupdate". Sounds like you already did this
so you should already have MacPorts 1.6.0.

You seem to have part but not all of X11 installed. You need both the
X11 User package from the Mac OS X DVD (which accounts for X11.app in
your Utilities folder) and the X11 SDK package from Xcode (which is
the part that lets you build other software for X11). Install X11
User first (you probably already have it), then install the latest
Xcode for your OS, and make sure to tell it to install the X11 SDK as
well.

To install any port foo, just run "sudo port install foo". That's all
you need to do. You don't need to be in any particular directory. But
you may want to first see if there are any variants that you would
like to select. Run "port info foo" and "port variants foo".

Yes, you need to add /opt/local/bin and /opt/local/sbin to your PATH.
That is, the MacPorts installer should do so for you. Versions prior
to 1.6.0 did so for you. 1.6.0 has a bug where it does not do so for
you and you must do it manually. This will be fixed in the next version.

If you have any other questions please let us know. Welcome to MacPorts!