Unable to install gimp2

Walt Scrivens walts at gate.net
Sat Mar 15 04:57:33 PDT 2008

Replying to my own post - I confess to being hasty.

I don't know why it took three hours to install wireshark; I had done
so under OS X 10.4 and it only took a few minutes.  I was more
disturbed by the very long boot time.  After a night's sleep (and
thanks for the info, Daniel) I went back into my notes for the last
time I had trouble with boot-up and found the procedure for a Safe
Boot.  At that time the Apple technician explained that unlike Windows
Safe Mode, Safe Boot in OS X actually does some repair work, which is
why it takes so long.  Anyway, I did a Safe Boot, the Repair
Permissions, and the three cron jobs (daily, weekly, monthly) that I
neglect so frequently, and now my Mac is happy again!

I thought I'd pass that on in case others are having similar problems.

Two issues remain:
If I try to start Gimp by itself, it fails with a message box, "Failed
to start X11"

However if I start Wireshark first, Gimp runs OK since wireshark has
started X11 (and does not shut it down when you exit Wireshark).

I remember from some Linux distros I have used that there is s
"startx" command to run X11, but that just gives me a screenful of
error messages.

Fatal server error:
Cannot establish any listening sockets - Make sure an X server isn't
already running
    AbortDDX
Quitting XQuartz...
giving up.
xinit:  Operation timed out (errno 60):  unable to connect to X server
xinit:  No such process (errno 3):  Server error.
xauth:  error in locking authority file /Users/walts/.Xauthority

This was after a fresh start, so unless started automatically, no X
server was running.
For now, if I need Gimp I can work around it by running Wireshark
first, but I'd really like to find the "right" way to do this!

Now, does anybody know how to make the Air Port work in promiscuous
mode?

Walt