digikam & amarok ports?

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sun Mar 16 12:57:37 PDT 2008

Niels Ganser wrote:
> However, I am dearly missing two programs from my KDE days which are
> digikam and amarok. (http://www.digikam.org & http://amarok.kde.org). I
> could not find those in your ports database so my question is: are they
> provided by the "kde" port and as such not installable individually or
> aren't they part of the macports project at all? If so: are there any
> plans to include them in the future?

For questions like this, "Do we plan to provide $foo with MacPorts?",
there is only one answer: If you provide a Portfile and maintain it, we
can include it. May sound a bit harsh, but that's the way it is. A
ticket asking for inclusion can stay there for a few years...

You can find documentation on how to write a Portfile in our Guide at
http://guide.macports.org/#development.introduction

First task would be to find out if we have all the dependencies digikam
and amarok need. Next thing would be if they both compile in general. If
not, it would need patching which can be in the range from easy to very
hard. But the mailing lists and IRC can be a great help on getting a
working port.

Rainer