"unable to execute -DNDEBUG" - strange gnucash build failure

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Mon Mar 17 19:03:43 PDT 2008

On 01Jan1970 00:00, Peter Schneider <petr.snyder at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
| After a "sudo port install gnucash +without_docs" I got this, probably
| my favorite Christmas-bug, so far I haven't been able to reduplicate it
| (another run of "sudo port -d install gnucash +without_docs" gave me
| another error ... see next posting).
|
| It's completely obscure for me that the error message seems to be
| related to gdbm, a fair while after that port was activated. "-DNDEBUG"
| doesn't probably exist as a command, well, I thought so. "libdaemon"
| ("libdaemon @0.12_0 (active)"!) has got through its activation, too,
| though any feedback was missing ... see console messages below.
[...snip...]
| --->  Building libdaemon with target all
| --->  Staging libdaemon into destroot
| --->  Installing libdaemon 0.12_0
| running build_ext
| building 'gdbm' extension
| creating build
| creating build/temp.macosx-10.3-ppc-2.5
| -DNDEBUG -g -O3 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -I/opt/local/include -I/opt/local/include/python2.5 -c gdbmmodule.c -o build/temp.macosx-10.3-ppc-2.5/gdbmmodule.o
| unable to execute -DNDEBUG: No such file or directory
| error: command '-DNDEBUG' failed with exit status 1

Did you ever figure this out? It's happening to me, too, so several
packages, often in the build step. It looks like the compiler name is
missing i.e. the command line should start with "gcc" or "cc".

It seems to be related to the python install. "which python" was
finding /usr/bin/python (the MacOSX python). I have now done this:

  cd /opt/local/bin
  ln -s python2.5 python

and with /opt/local/bin at the start of my $PATH things are now working.

Shouldn't the python packages "know" their preferred python?
(/opt/local/bin/python2.4 or /opt/local/bin/python2.5)?
Or shouldn't /opt/local/bin/python already be set up?

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

It's as if all of Scottish cuisine is based on a dare.  - Saturday Night Live
Squidliness is next to DoDliness.       - Ancient Tibetan Proverb