how to delete deactivated ports

J P Lewis noisebrain at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 22:04:27 PDT 2008

Hello,

(a novice question)

I installed a package (py25-matplotlib), had some trouble with using it,
then did a port selfupdate,

then upgraded the package.   In the process, a number of packages were
deactivated.

For example, it looks like I now have two copies of python25, numpy,
3 copies of libpng, etc.

How can I uninstall these now (to clean up and save disk space)?

For example
    port uninstall python25 @2.5.1_2+darwin_8
says that I cannot uninstall this (deactivated) python because other things
depend on it.

Most of those things are things that I'm actively using (py-readline for
example).

should I uninstall and reinstall all of these?   If so, it seems like
upgrading is a bad
strategy, one can save work by uninstalling and reinstalling?