GCC compilation time

Thomas Condon tomc at sounddsl.com
Thu Mar 20 22:43:52 PDT 2008

paul beard wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 5:47 PM, James Sumners <james.sumners at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> GCC can take a _long_ time to compile.
>>

> Um, yeah. The first I ever tried to build a new gcc, it took me several
> *days*. But that was a long time ago and a hardware platform far far away
> (you kids ever use a SPARCstation 20?).

Yes, but I think that came around *after* the PDP 11s, the Varian 620i
and the EAI 8400 (full flight simulation of 747 w/Space Shuttle
piggyback in 48K of *core*)!  [Not to mention the Burroughs B-5500 from
college.  And I don't even remember the numbers of the patch-cord
computers.]

In A Chord,

Tom Condon
Bass, Agate Passage Quartet
Bass & Proud Member, Kitsap Chordsmen
Dir. Music Education, Evergreen District, BHS