deactivated port issue

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Mar 20 23:15:20 PDT 2008

On Mar 20, 2008, at 18:33, Rainer Müller wrote:

> Mark Wilden wrote:
>
>> Let it be said, however, that not everyone agrees. When I've read all
>> the other messages already, I don't like having to scroll.
>
> So only quote the relevant part you are referring to - as I do here.
>
> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
> Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
> A: Top-posting.
>
> Very helpful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style

We need an official document on mailing list etiquette on the
MacPorts site. We currently only provide a link to an external
document [1] but that document does not mention quoting. We need
something like what the Subversion project has [2]. I am still
strongly in favor of bottom-posting, or rather, interleaved posting.

[1] http://www.macports.org/contact.php#Lists says "Members are
expected to abide by the very simple Netiquette guidelines" and links
to http://www.dtcc.edu/cs/rfc1855.html