GCC compilation time

Alejandro Aragón alejandro.aragon at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 07:44:37 PDT 2008

1 hour, 40 minutes. GCC is huge!
Now that I compiled a newer release of GCC, I can configure a package
using
./configure CXX=/opt/local/bin/g++

Now, what it's bothering me, is that when you include a file in the code
like
#include <iostream>

it will refer to the old gcc library, not to the new one right? Even if
I specify the location of the header files with -I/opt/loca/include/gcc,
why is the compilation choose my specified files instead of the
usual /usr/include files?

Please help,

aa