__THE_PROCESS_HAS_FORKED_AND_YOU_CANNOT_USE_THIS_COREFOUNDATION_FUNCTIONALITY___YOU_MUST_EXEC__()

Kevin Walzer kw at codebykevin.com
Mon Mar 24 08:14:17 PDT 2008

Frank Schima wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> Another thread mentioned pydoc, so I decided to look at it and ran
> 'pydoc modules'. Although it ran, it first returned a very strange
> error (a number of times):
>
> The process has forked and you cannot use this CoreFoundation
> functionality safely. You MUST exec().
> Break on
> __THE_PROCESS_HAS_FORKED_AND_YOU_CANNOT_USE_THIS_COREFOUNDATION_FUNCTIONALITY___YOU_MUST_EXEC__
> () to debug.
>
> I've seen this before when I run tkinter based python apps. But
> everything seems to work just fine.
>
> What is causing this error? Is it a problem? Can it be removed/fixed
> somehow?

It's a bug that is a result of the interaction between Python and
Tkinter (Tcl/Tk) on Leopard, owing to some changes in how CoreFoundation
handles processes.  See http://bugs.python.org/issue1676 for some
additional details. As far as I can tell it's harmless. I haven't
noticed any performance issues in the Tkinter application I develop,
apart from seeing tons of those error messages in my console logs.

I am not aware that anyone is actively working on the bug, since both
the Python and Tk folks say it's the other one's problem.

--Kevin
--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin