using an http proxy?

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Mon Mar 24 14:02:50 PDT 2008

On Mar 24, 2008, at 9:07 AM, Daniel Lord wrote:
> My place of employment has everything locked down except for port 80
> so I have to use an http proxy.
> I can use curl from the command line with the proxy option so I know
> it should work for Macports, but a web search and the reading of the
> Macport Wiki, FAQ and other docs has not shown that Macports can
> take advantage of the proxy option for libCURL or the curl command.
> I have used the libCURL library using the libCURL proxy facility to
> fetch http data with C++, so I know the proxy can work through both
> the library and the command.
>
> I suppose I could look around in the source and hack it to use a
> proxy option is an arbitrarily named (by me) proxy file exists and
> using the proxy for the curl command invocation. But then it would
> break on Macports updates.
>
> Is there an 'official' way to do this? One that should hold up
> through Macport updates?

If you set the standard curl proxy environment variables (http_proxy,
FTP_PROXY, etc; see 'man curl'), this should get fetching of sources
to work through the proxy.

However, for selfupdate, which uses rsync, there isn't a way to use
the proxy.  I think in this case you have to use a subversion-based
repository instead.  For this you need to checkout MacPorts[1], then
updated your ${prefix}/etc/macports/sources.conf to point to the
location of the dports directory instead of the rsync:// line.

Bryan

[1] - http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/wiki/GetMacPortsSource