is the avahi user creation supposed to be part of

Adam Dershowitz dersh at alum.mit.edu
Mon Mar 24 17:21:54 PDT 2008

On Mar 24, 2008, at 3:17 PM, Nehemiah Dacres wrote:

> why are you installing avahi?it already says on their Track that
> avahi is an implimentation of mDNS. having 2 of those on the same
> machine would clearly be a problem, simply use Bonjour. The Avahi
> mac people will simply have to make their avahi damon work around
> Bonjour becasue removing bonjour will most likely break mac os
> functionality.

It is installed as part of a dependency chain.
I have gimp installed, which depends on librsvg, which depends on
gnome-vfs which in turn depends on avahi

I don't really know why avahi is necessary (or if it actually is
necessary), but both avahi and Bonjour seem to be working fine, and
coexisting, on my machine.

--Adam