mysql5 vs. mysql5-devel

James Berry jberry at macports.org
Wed Mar 26 06:48:26 PDT 2008

On Mar 26, 2008, at 6:38 AM, Chris Janton wrote:

> Thank you. That worked nicely.
>
> Now I have to figure out why "mysql_upgrade" doesn't work at all...
>
> face at mac:~:125 $ mysql_upgrade5
> Looking for 'mysql' in: mysql
> FATAL ERROR: Can't find 'mysql'
>
> 8)

Hi Chris,

The layout and naming of the mysql5 on macports is quite wacky, due to
a probably misguided effort to allow the mysql 4 and 4 ports in
coexist. The msyql_upgrade5 script (and probably others) suffer from
this, and fail to work correclty.

I think the macports community would be better served by going to a
more standard mysql installation layout and naming policy for mysql 5,
and abandoning the wacky naming scheme.

(I've worked on various pieces of this over the years, and have come
to this conclusion after banging my head repeatedly against this wall).

James