port uninstall: dep check broken?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Mar 27 09:01:24 PDT 2008

On Mar 26, 2008, at 16:11, Florian Ebeling wrote:

> Does the following make sense in some strange way, or is this simply
> a bug?
>
> $ port installed apr
> The following ports are currently installed:
>   apr @1.2.12_1+darwin_9 (active)
>   apr @1.2.8_0
> $ sudo port uninstall apr @1.2.8_0
> --->  Unable to uninstall apr 1.2.8_0, the following ports depend
> on it:
> --->  	apr-util
> --->  	subversion
> --->  	subversion-perlbindings
> --->  	subversion
> Error: port uninstall failed: Please uninstall the ports that depend
> on apr first.
>
> Basically, I have 2 installed ports with different variants used. But
> the dependency
> check on uninstall does not seem to recognize the one with the variant
> "darwin_9"
> and complains, even though it should be happy, since the newer version
> is there,
> and dependencies are oblivious of variants (and versions). That looks
> wrong to me.

This is simply a deficiency in the way MacPorts currently works.
MacPorts only knows that apr-util, subversion et al depend on apr. So
when you try to uninstall (any version of) apr, it complains. Since
you already have a newer version of apr installed, it's fine to
uninstall the older one. You just have to force it to overcome
MacPorts' objections.

sudo port -f uninstall apr @1.2.8_0