.profile not installed; 'ports' command not found

James E Keenan jkeen at verizon.net
Thu Mar 27 12:14:37 PDT 2008

Today I attempted to install Macports on an iBook G4 running MAC OS X
10.4 (Tiger).  I followed the instructions at http://
guide.macports.org/#installing.  I met the prerequisites:    X11,
Xcode Tools.  I downloaded the installer for MacPorts-1.6.0-10.4-
Tiger.dmg and double-clicked for a default installation.

The installer proceeded normally, including running the installation
script, and concluded by stating that the software had been installed.

I then went to the section in the docs  concerning MacPorts and the
shell (http://guide.macports.org/#installing.shell).  Checking my
home directory, I noted that no .profile file had been created
there.  Furthermore, when, following the guide, I called 'sudo port
selfupdate', I was told, "sudo: port: command not found".

I repeated all of the above, with no better results.  Can anyone
diagnose?

Thanks in advance.Jim Keenan