.profile not installed; 'ports' command not found

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Mar 29 04:31:44 PDT 2008

On Mar 28, 2008, at 08:41, James E Keenan wrote:

> On Mar 27, 2008, at 3:31 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> There is a bug in MacPorts 1.6.0 which prevents the .profile from
>> being created. You'll have to create it yourself. The bug has been
>> fixed in trunk but we haven't released a new version of MacPorts
>> since then.
>
> Given that the instructions pertaining to .profile appear very
> prominently in your documentation, I would suggest that a 1.6.1
> release be considered.

So much work has gone into MacPorts since 1.6.0 that we may want to
consider calling the next release 1.7.0.

I assume our release manager just hasn't had time to do a new
release. I haven't seen many mails from him lately.

> What effect will this happen on my inability to call 'port' yesterday?

If you don't set up your .profile, your PATH environment variable
doesn't get set properly to include /opt/local/bin and /opt/local/
sbin, hence your terminal doesn't know to look there to find the port
binary. You can either call port by its full pathname /opt/local/bin/
port or set up your PATH environment variable.