Adventures in 64-bit computing

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at apple.com
Sun Mar 30 17:27:24 PDT 2008

On Mar 29, 2008, at 3:36 PM, Emil Lundberg wrote:

> Still failing to get 64-bit MacPorts to work properly, I though I'd
> relay my progress so far. The short story is some ports do not
> compile properly as ppc64. Others do, but don't compile properly on
> x86_64. I'm prepared, of course, to notify the individual
> maintainers of these ports, but first I'd like your opinion on
> whether my general strategy is sound.

I don't think your general strategy is sound - it essentially tries to
side-step the real problem, which is to get support for universal
binaries working properly in base/ and across the collection.

Some resources aimed in that direction would be greatly appreciated by
a number of people, including but not limited to those who know what
needs to be done but are too busy to do it themselves. :-)

- Jordan