teTeX fails with probably unquoted path name containing spaces

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu May 1 18:32:09 PDT 2008

On May 1, 2008, at 5:37 PM, Jerry wrote:

> On May 1, 2008, at 1:24 PM, Joshua Root wrote:
>
>> Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>>> Still, not sure why it's trying to install teTeX if you already have
>>> texlive. The octave port is written to only care if there is a
>>> binary
>>> named "tex", not which port provided it. If you have a tex in /opt/
>>> local/bin that should be enough.
>>
>> The tex binary (or the link to it anyway) is provided by the
>> texlive port, so just having texlive_texmf-minimal isn't enough.
>>
>> Jerry, I think at this point you would want to do the following,
>> assuming you don't want to install texlive_texmf-full:
>>
>> sudo port clean --all teTeX
>
> That went OK.
>> sudo port install texlive +minimal
>
> This terminated with my "standard error"--a reference to non-
> existing directories possibly caused by spaces in the path name.
> Just for completeness, here it is again:
>

> /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 -o xdvi-xaw.bin browser.o dvi-draw.o dvi-init.o
> dvisel.o encodings.o events.o filehist.o font-open.o gf.o
> hypertex.o image-magick.o mime.o my-snprintf.o my-vsnprintf.o
> pagehist.o pk.o print-internal.o psdps.o psgs.o psheader.o psnews.o
> read-mapfile.o search-internal.o special.o string-utils.o tfmload.o
> util.o vf.o xdvi.o xserver-info.o x_util.o before Dec 12, 2007/lib
> -L/opt/local/lib ./gui/libgui.a ../../libs/t1lib/libt1.a ../../libs/
> t1lib/../type1/libtype1.a -L/usr/local/ada-4.3 -L/usr/X11R6/lib -
> lXaw -lXmu -lXt -lSM -lICE -lXp -lXext -lXpm -lX11 -liconv ../
> kpathsea/.libs/libkpathsea.a -lm
> powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1: before: No such file or directory
> powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1: Dec: No such file or directory
> powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1: 12,: No such file or directory
> powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1: 2007/lib: No such file or directory
> make[2]: *** [xdvi-xaw.bin] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
> make: *** [all] Error 1
>
> Error: The following dependencies failed to build: texlive_base

You could try searching every file in /opt/local to see which ones
contain the string "before Dec 12, 2007"

grep "before Dec 12, 2007" -r /opt/local

Then using "port provides /path/to/file" you can figure out which
port provided that file and then reinstall that port...

> Unless someone has another idea, I think I'll start from scratch. I
> assume I can just delete /opt/local

If this is not too inconvenient for you, it would be the surest way
to resolve the problem... To uninstall MacPorts, you should delete
all directories into which MacPorts might potentially install, not
just /opt/local. See the uninstall instructions in the FAQ:

http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/wiki/
FAQ#HowdoIremoveoruninstallMacPorts

> but there is probably a way to delete only installed ports without
> deleting the port system itself.

To do it that way, for each installed port foo (see "port
installed"), run "sudo port -f uninstall foo".