teTeX fails with probably unquoted path name containing spaces

Jerry lanceboyle at qwest.net
Thu May 1 21:07:44 PDT 2008

On May 1, 2008, at 3:51 PM, Joshua Root wrote:
> Jerry wrote:
>>>
>>> The tex binary (or the link to it anyway) is provided by the
>>> texlive port, so just having texlive_texmf-minimal isn't enough.
>>>
>>> Jerry, I think at this point you would want to do the following,
>>> assuming you don't want to install texlive_texmf-full:
>>>
>>> sudo port clean --all teTeX
>> That went OK.
>>> sudo port install texlive +minimal
>> This terminated with my "standard error"--a reference to non-
>> existing directories possibly caused by spaces in the path name.
>
> Have you cleaned texlive_base since you removed the path-with-spaces?

Not sure, actually. I remember seeing that somewhere, probably using
Porticus, but it's not showing up now.
However, I did it just now (--all) and it took a non-trivial amount
of time (10 seconds).

Re-ran sudo port install texlive +minimal, then sudo port install
octave.

The "standard" error did not appear in either install. However, the
latter (Octave) errored out with a compile error in an Octave file
that says it is a "urlwrite and urlread, a curl front-end for
octave." Here's the error:

/opt/local/bin/g++-mp-4.2 -c -I/opt/local/include -I. -I.. -I../
liboctave -I../src -I../libcruft/misc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -Wall -W -
Wshadow -Wold-style-cast -O2 ./DLD-FUNCTIONS/urlwrite.cc -o urlwrite.o
./DLD-FUNCTIONS/urlwrite.cc: In function 'std::string
form_query_string(CURL*, const Cell&)':
./DLD-FUNCTIONS/urlwrite.cc:73: error: 'curl_easy_escape' was not
declared in this scope
make[2]: *** [urlwrite.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [src] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

This result seems like progress but also seems like a problem in the
Octave-related source.

Jerry