teTeX fails with probably unquoted path name containing spaces

Jerry lanceboyle at qwest.net
Thu May 1 21:16:39 PDT 2008

On May 1, 2008, at 6:32 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> On May 1, 2008, at 5:37 PM, Jerry wrote:

>>> The tex binary (or the link to it anyway) is provided by the
>>> texlive port, so just having texlive_texmf-minimal isn't enough.
>>>
>>> Jerry, I think at this point you would want to do the following,
>>> assuming you don't want to install texlive_texmf-full:
>>>
>>> sudo port clean --all teTeX
>>
>> That went OK.
>>> sudo port install texlive +minimal
>>
>> This terminated with my "standard error"--a reference to non-
>> existing directories possibly caused by spaces in the path name.
>> Just for completeness, here it is again:
>>

>> /usr/bin/gcc-4.0 -o xdvi-xaw.bin browser.o dvi-draw.o dvi-init.o
>> dvisel.o encodings.o events.o filehist.o font-open.o gf.o
>> hypertex.o image-magick.o mime.o my-snprintf.o my-vsnprintf.o
>> pagehist.o pk.o print-internal.o psdps.o psgs.o psheader.o
>> psnews.o read-mapfile.o search-internal.o special.o string-utils.o
>> tfmload.o util.o vf.o xdvi.o xserver-info.o x_util.o before Dec
>> 12, 2007/lib  -L/opt/local/lib ./gui/libgui.a ../../libs/t1lib/
>> libt1.a ../../libs/t1lib/../type1/libtype1.a -L/usr/local/ada-4.3 -
>> L/usr/X11R6/lib -lXaw -lXmu -lXt -lSM -lICE -lXp -lXext -lXpm -
>> lX11 -liconv ../kpathsea/.libs/libkpathsea.a -lm
>> powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1: before: No such file or directory
>> powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1: Dec: No such file or directory
>> powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1: 12,: No such file or directory
>> powerpc-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1: 2007/lib: No such file or directory
>> make[2]: *** [xdvi-xaw.bin] Error 1
>> make[1]: *** [all] Error 1
>> make: *** [all] Error 1
>>
>> Error: The following dependencies failed to build: texlive_base
>> Error: Status 1 encountered during processing.
>
> You could try searching every file in /opt/local to see which ones
> contain the string "before Dec 12, 2007"

Sorry for the confusion. I explained in one of my earlier posts that
the string "before Dec 12, 2007" was the name of a directory in /usr/
local which I subsequently deleted upon encountering the current
problem. The directory was called either "before Dec 12, 2007" or
most likely "ada-4.3 before Dec 12, 2007" which contained most of the
gcc compilers including Ada 4.3. I had apparently renamed the folder
before doing a fresh installation of the compilers, probably on that
date, then forgot to trash it when things were going well. I don't
know how macports found it; also, there were two other Ada compilers
in the /usr/local, called ada-4.2 and ada-4.3, the latter being on my
PATH variable (but not the one with "before Dec 12, 2007" in it).