Newbie Question about Binary Packages

EmmGunn emmgunn at gmail.com
Fri May 2 12:02:22 PDT 2008

On May 2, 2008, at 2:17 AM, Anders F Björklund wrote:
> Mikael wrote:
>
>> I'm a complete newbie to compiling binaries, and UNIX for that
>> matter, so please forgive me for any ignorant questions.  I'm
>> hoping to use MacPorts to compile binary packages that can be
>> distributed and installed on other computers.  I've been practicing
>> with hexedit.  After some trial and error I've been able to compile
>> it and it runs fine on my computer.  I then tried "port pkg
>> hexedit" which I was under the impression would give me a package
>> that would install all the files needed to run hexedit on other
>> computers.  I created the pkg file but when I tested it on another
>> computer, the installed binary wouldn't run.  I get the impression
>> that needed libraries are not being installed on the target
>> computer.  Can anybody point me in the right direction to
>> accomplish my goal.  Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Use "port mpkg" instead (includes dependencies).
>
> --anders

Thanks for the help.  I'll give it a try when I get home.  If I may, I
have a few more questions:

1) I've been using the guide at - http://guide.macports.org/.  It's a
great reference, however there is no mention of mpkg that I could find
regarding binary packages.  Are there any other good references out
there?

2) I'm assuming that the binary package will use the already intalled
ports, so the packaged binaries will have the variants I included when
I installed the the ports.  Is that correct?

3) I'm also assuming the files will be installed in a folder opt when
installed via the package.  Can this folder be moved to somewhere
hidden from the user.  The binaries will be controlled by an
applescript so the location won't matter in terms of trying to run
things from the terminal, but will this break the dependencies?

Thanks again for any help.