curl - can't upgrade on 1.52 MacPorts

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sun May 4 09:49:02 PDT 2008

Chris Janton wrote:
> attempts to upgrade curl on 10.3.9 server running MacPorts 1.52 fail
>
> admin at x:admin:122 $ sudo port sync
> admin at x:admin:123 $ port outdated
> The following installed ports are outdated:
> curl                           7.18.1_1 < 7.18.1_2
> sqlite3                        3.5.4_0 < 3.5.8_0
> admin at x:admin:124 $ sudo port upgrade curl
> Error: Unable to open port: invalid command name "use_parallel_build"

Yes, you need at least 1.600 for this. The ports tree is only compatible
with the latest released MacPorts version.

> admin at x:admin:125 $ sudo port selfupdate
> MacPorts base version 1.520 installed
> Downloaded MacPorts base version 1.600
> Configuring, Building and Installing new MacPorts base
> Error: /opt/local/bin/port: selfupdate failed: Error installing new
> MacPorts base: shell command "cd /opt/local/var/macports/sources/
> rsync.macports.org/release/base && ./configure --prefix=/opt/local --
> with-install-user=root --with-install-group=admin --with-tclpackage=/
> Library/Tcl && make && make install" returned error 2

You left the important part out here. What was the error message in
"..."? You could also try to run "sudo port -d selfupgrade" to get more
verbose output.

I remember there was on error in the released 1.6.0 which prevented
building on Panther. But instead of re-releasing 1.6.0, the patches were
incorporated into the MacPorts port to allow building PKG installers.
Did they also make their way onto the rsync server?

Rainer