Gorm taking ages to compile?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu May 8 03:36:34 PDT 2008

On May 8, 2008, at 04:08, Christopher Choi wrote:

> I'm went to install Gorm from the ports by issuing the command sudo
> port
> install gorm...and it was going well until well its taking a whole
> night to
> do it, and its still doing the compilation of Gcc42...
> I have a Titanium G4 1GHz with 1Gb RAM so would that explain why
> its going
> so slowly? but I still don't get why installing Gorm an application
> can take
> such a long time..
>
> this is what the compiling output is:
>
> Titan:~ Chris$ sudo port install gorm

[snip]

> --->  Building gcc42 with target all
>
> So all is going well until this line showed up and is taking absolute
> age....what should I do? should I terminate it and try again?

gcc42 takes about 6 hours to compile on a 1.5 GHz PowerBook G4, so on
your 1 GHZ PowerBook G4 I would expect it to take about 9 hours. You
should also have at least 3GB of free hard drive space.

I'm afraid gorm just has a lot of dependencies [1]. It will take
awhile to compile them all.

[1] http://www.ryandesign.com/tmp/gorm.png