force install without a dependency

Jochen Küpper kuepper.jochen at googlemail.com
Tue May 13 00:06:27 PDT 2008

Hi Jacob,

On 13.05.2008, at 00:00, Jacob Schwartz wrote:

> Can I rephrase my question then?  What if the port maintainer included
> a bogus dependency -- in this case, the Haskell-mode for emacs *in no
> way* requires the port "ghc".  Absolutely does not require it.  The
> Haskell-mode can be very useful to people who never intend to run
> "ghc".  What now?  We contact the port maintainer and ask them to fix
> the problem and then wait for them to update the macports database
> before we install?

you already got a long and detailed answer by Ryan; the short version
is this:

Please fix your local Portfile (i.e., for Haskell-mode provide a
variant "noghc", for yudit update to the latest version), make sure
the updated port works, create a diff to the original Portfile, create
a ticket requesting the update, and attach the diff.

Typically this will be submitted over the course of a few days to be
available for everybody, otherwise you have to bug the maintainer or
mailing list until it's done.

Greetings,
Jochen
         Sex, drugs and rock-n-roll