Manual install

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Wed May 14 18:45:56 PDT 2008

On May 14, 2008, at 6:50 PM, Rainer Müller wrote:
>> The reason I ask is that a. it would be very useful to have this
>> feature, especially on systems without a lot of horsepower (given
>> the high degree of standardization on this hardware, why compile
>> anything yourself, if a compile farm exists to do that?) and b. I
>> have done the steps above to get around packages that don't build,
>> and I wonder how much cruft that introduces.
>
> I heard there once was a plan to add a light version of DarwinPorts
> (dp-light)

I don't think that that's what dp-light did.

dp-light just (sanely) decided to handle just building the software
and passing the built stuff off to rpm to handle the actual package
management features.

> into packages to add them to the registry on installation, but it
> turned out that the parts of it are so interweaved that the whole
> thing was needed to do so... Never used it though, this is just what
> I have been told.

That was an idea for letting macports still be packaging system
agnostic - thus still allowing it to duplicate the tracking that any
package-manager would be doing. Part of the reason for wanting this
was to integrate with apple-supplied 'pkg' files (and use the pkg
receipts to fulfill dependencies).

> But back to achieve what you requested. Archives should work
> already, I believe. You can create archives on one machine and use
> it on another (using port -b with archivemode enabled). It packs the
> destroot into an archive so you can just install it on another
> machine the "usual" way. I think this is what you need.

The 'easy' way to get this to work now is to have your build machine
do an nfs export of the archives and have the other machines nfs mount
of those files.

I imagine that the patches that are attached to that ticket still work
(or mostly work) since not a lot has been done to the archive code
(which is what they patch).

I haven't had time to really re-work the feature how I want to (but
don't let that stop anyone else who is interested in working on it).
I'm also not sure it's worth it, as it may make sense to just choose a
package manager to work well with and get rid of the package-
management like features that are in macports now.

Then again, we could just wait for apkg to be ready ;-)

--
Daniel J. Luke