Wireshark

Robert Liesenfeld xunil at xunil.net
Mon May 19 09:17:40 PDT 2008

On May 19, 2008, at 8:20 AM, Avery Rozar wrote:

> Hello Macports-users,
> I'm trying to install wireshark using macports, but I get this
> error, and dont know what it is telling me.
>
> I did install xcode 3 before I installed macports, so I dont know
> why it would need xfree86? I thought xfee86 was an alternative, but
> I'm probably wrong. Thanks anyway,
>
> Avery
>

> bash-3.2# port install wireshark
> --->  Building XFree86 with target World
> Error: Target org.macports.build returned: shell command " cd
...snip...
> In file included from x11trans.c:82:
> ../../lib/xtrans/Xtranssock.c:1378: error: 'MAXHOSTNAMELEN'
> undeclared here (not in a function)
> make[4]: *** [x11trans.o] Error 1
> make[3]: *** [all] Error 1
> make[2]: *** [all] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [World] Error 2
> make: *** [World] Error 2

This is due to the fact that wireshark depends on gtk2, and gtk2
builds with X11 support by default, apparently thus adding a
dependency on XFree86.  You can use the +no_x11 variant (port install
wireshark +no_x11) to use Quartz rendering instead of X11.  This
should remove the dependency (though I haven't tried it myself).

-Robert