Using wxPython

Frank Schima macsforever2000 at macports.org
Wed May 21 07:56:12 PDT 2008

Hi Mike,

On May 21, 2008, at 7:13 AM, Mike wrote:

> I just tried:

> and it worked fine.  I am not a python programmer so I don't know if
> there is a significant difference between our programs.  I am using
> pretty much the same thing in terms of software, only I didn't use
> ports/fink to get it.  I went to wxpython.org and followed their
> instructions.  Apparently there are some idiosyncrasies with the mac
> os install.

Indeed the Leopard built-in Python includes pythonw (or the Framework
build of python) and works. But I need the MacPorts Python 2.5 to work
because I need all the other crunchy goodness that Apple does not
provide like scipy, numpy, serial, py25-matplotlib, etc.

Are there any wxPython programmers using Python from MacPorts? It's
such a shame to have to develop in Linux with VMware to get around
this issue. Or worse, switch to GTK!!!! :)

Can someone explain why we cannot simply use the Framework build of
Python 2.5 in MacPorts like Python 2.4 already apparently does?

Cheers!
Frank Schima
Boulder, CO
schimaf at boulder.nist.gov