Running MacPorts MySql on a different port

Thomas Hagedorn hagedorn at tcnj.edu
Wed May 21 16:14:43 PDT 2008

I need to have two versions of MySql running.  One is the binary MySql
from MySql and the other is the Macports version.   Manually, using the
command

sudo -b /opt/local/bin/mysqld_safe5 --port=3307

I can start the (MacPorts) MySql on port 3307 and simultaneously run the
(MySql) MySql (which is in /usr/local/mysql).   Everything seems to work
fine.  Now here are the problems that I need help solving:

1.  How do I configure the launchd or org.macports.mysql5.plist files so
that the port 3307 is chosen when mysql starts automatically at
startup?  The problem seems to be passing --port=3307 to the
mysql.server program doesn't work.

2.  How can I install MySql using MacPorts so that port 3307 is set as
the default port for the MacPorts installation?

Many thanks in advance!

Sincerely,
Tom Hagedorn