Help installing gnome with macport

Frank Schima macsforever2000 at macports.org
Thu May 22 08:56:02 PDT 2008

Hi Randall,

On May 21, 2008, at 12:39 PM, eazy livn wrote:
> I'm new to Macports so I request forbearance if my question seems
> stupid.
>
> When I attempt to install gnome I use the following command in a
> terminal window:  'port install gnome'.  After running for a
> substantial amount of time, I receive the error listed below when
> the process quits.  Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
>
> Best,
>  ~don
>
> --->  Fetching libcaca
> --->  Attempting to fetch libcaca-0.9.tar.bz2 from http://sam.zoy.org/projects/libcaca/
> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for libcaca
> Error: Checksum (md5) mismatch for libcaca-0.9.tar.bz2
> Error: Target org.macports.checksum returned: Unable to verify file
> checksums
> Error: The following dependencies failed to build: gnome-desktop-
> suite gnome-applets gnome-control-center gnome-settings-daemon gst-
> plugins-good libcaca libcdio libcddb libdv libshout2 speex taglib
> wavpack libgnomekbd libxklavier metacity gnome-python-desktop gnome-
> media gtksourceview gnuregex totem-pl-parser gucharmap system-tools-
> backends p5-net-dbus p5-xml-twig gnome-audio gnome-backgrounds gnome-
> games ggz-client-libs libggz guile gmp libsdl_mixer libsdl smpeg
> py25-gtkglext gtkglext py25-opengl py25-pil py25-setuptools py25-
> zlib py25-tkinter tcl tk gnome-keyring-manager gnome-mag gnome-
> session gnome-system-monitor gtkmm cairomm glibmm libsigcxx2 gnome-
> terminal vte gnome-user-docs gnome-utils gnopernicus libgail-gnome
> libgtkhtml3 seahorse avahi dbus-python25 gdbm libdaemon py25-gdbm
> gpgme gnupg bzip2 pth vino yelp firefox-x11 zip zenity

The libcaca source moved for some reason. I fixed the Portfile to
point to the new location. I also wrote up a bug ticket for it.
<http://trac.macports.org/ticket/15399>

In the future, you can write a bug report for problems like this.
Please see the wiki page on it:
<http://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets>

Cheers!
Frank Schima