enabling Variant: options when installing nano

Max Garfinkel max.garfinkel at talk21.com
Thu May 22 14:30:28 PDT 2008

Hello, I am new to macports and I am trying to enable syntax
highlighting for nano. I tried just editing the nanorc file but I get
errors like this:
Error in /opt/local/etc/nanorc on line 3: Command "syntax" not
understood
I have read around and I am guessing that I need to set the
configuration options when doing the install. I notice that the apps
page has a list configuration.args and Variant: options. I can't seem
to find any information on how to pass these options to the install.
It seems it may be to do with env variables? Rather than particular
help configuring nano I would rather have an explanation of how to
apply these options as it seems to be not really documented anywhere.
I would be very grateful for a nudge in the right direction.
max
P.s This is my first post to a mailing list so apologies if I have
broken any etiquette.