ncursesw doesn't like to (re)activate

Tabitha McNerney tabithamc at gmail.com
Sat May 24 06:12:29 PDT 2008

On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 1:25 AM, Joshua Root <jmr at macports.org> wrote:

> Tabitha McNerney wrote:
>
>  On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 11:09 PM, Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org<mailto:
>> ryandesign at macports.org>> wrote:
>>
>>    On May 18, 2008, at 07:13, Joshua Root wrote:
>>
>>            Le 18 mai 08 à 07:05, Tabitha McNerney a écrit :
>>
>>                Hi Anthony, it says:
>>
>>                /opt/local/share/terminfo/2/2621a is provided by: ncursesw
>>
>>                So it would seem that deactivating ncursesw doesn't
>>                remove this file
>>                when it should?
>>

>>            I don't know what happened. Try to manually erase the file and
>>            activate again ncursesw.
>>

>>        Tabitha, are you perhaps using a case-sensitive filesystem?
>>

>>    She said she's using an Xserve, which does make a case-sensitive
>>    filesystem more likely...
>>

>> Yes, I'm sorry I forgot to mention that. Indeed, I'm using HFSX+ for the
>> file system (which most definitely is case sensitive).
>> I was able to erase the files that nox suggested and that worked. However
>> a "port uninstall ncursesw" should really do this but it does not (after a
>> port ncursesw uninstall, those files are left behind as remnants on the
>> filesystem).
>>

> Yes, it certainly should work. As far as I know, MacPorts generally works
> correctly on case-sensitive filesystems. I asked about it because I have
> /opt/local/share/terminfo/2/2621A, not /opt/local/share/terminfo/2/2621a.
>
> So it looks like the entry in the file map has a different case than the
> file itself. I don't know how that could have happened, but hopefully this
> narrows the problem down a bit for Anthony.

Josh, thanks for confirming. I just did a triple check, and I've got inside:

/opt/local/share/terminfo/2

these files (case sensitive):

2621    2621-wl 2621A   2621a

Very interesting. I hope this is helpful. My boss has, as a rule, that we
always use case sensitive (HFSX) file systems for volumes we mount to our
XServes so its probably a good thing he is so strict because it helped me
find this nuance with ncursesw and can therefore help the MacPorts
community. Also, as a note, Mac OS X Server 10.5 (and I think also Mac OS X
10.5) can now be installed with the HFSX case sensitive option for boot disc
volume (this is a first if I'm not mistaken as it was not available in Tiger
to do so for boot discs).

Thanks much,

T.M.