php5 upgrade today

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat May 24 17:50:26 PDT 2008

On May 24, 2008, at 16:48, Mark Hattam wrote:

> At 16:07 -0500 24/5/08, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

>>> After a fair bit of searching ... the log is in
>>>
>>> /opt/local/var/macports/build/
>>> _opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_release_ports_gra
>>> phics_fontconfig/work/fontconfig-2.5.0/
>>
>> Like I said, it's in `port dir fontconfig`/work/fontconfig-2.5.0/
>> config.log :)
>>
>> In other words, you can type this in the Terminal to change to
>> that directory:
>>
>> cd `port dir fontconfig`/work/fontconfig-2.5.0
>>
>> Or you can type this to open the directory in the Finder:
>>
>> open `port dir fontconfig`/work/fontconfig-2.5.0
>
> Hmm ... doesn't work ...
>
> Powerbook:~ $ cd `port dir fontconfig`/work/fontconfig-2.5.0
> -bash: cd: /opt/local/var/macports/sources/rsync.macports.org/
> release/ports/graphics/fontconfig/work/fontconfig-2.5.0: No such
> file or directory
>
> That has a /sources/ in it, whereas the actual log is in /build/

The directory `port dir fontconfig` should include a symlink called
"work" which links to the location in the build directory you
mentioned. Unless you turned off that option. (I forget where that
option is.) Or unless you clean the work area i.e. with "port clean --
work fontconfig". But in any case you found the directory.

>>> ./configure: line 1: /usr/bin/gcc-4.0: No such file or directory
>>
>> Do you have /usr/bin/gcc-4.0? fontconfig seems to be unable to
>> find it. If you don't have it, did you install Xcode? If not, you
>> need it. If you did install Xcode, I can't explain the absence of /
>> usr/bin/gcc-4.0; try installing Xcode again. For Mac OS X 10.4,
>> make sure you use either Xcode 2.5 or 2.4.1 (nothing older).
>
> I don't see a usr/bin/gcc-4.0 ...
>
> Yes, I have installed XCode ...
> /Library/Receipts has
>
> X11Documentation.pkg    6 November 2007 02:40
> X11SDK.pkg    6 November 2007 02:40
> X11Update2006.pkg    Today 13:29
> X11User.pkg    Today 11:33
>
> Remember earlier you said for me to install the X11User as I had
> X11SDK already, but that was insufficient.

X11 and Xcode are two different things. X11 is Apple's version of the
XFree86 X window system. Xcode is Apple's development environment
including Apple's version of the gcc compiler. The latter is required
for most ports, and apparently missing on your system.

> I've had MacPorts installed for ages ... MacPorts-1.4.0.pkg has a
> receipt 5 April 2007 22:32 ... and it's self-updated since then.
>
> It was only a couple of weeks ago that I rebuilt php5 5.2.6 to
> additionally include the +sqlite variant and that worked. (Well it
> built and worked as php fine, just that I really wanted sqlite 3
> rather than sqlite 2) ... I still have Apache2 and MySQL5 and nano
> and subversion and ... other packages installed and working built
> by MacPorts.
>
> So I really don't don't know what's happened. The only thing I've
> tried in MacPorts and that has failed anytime recently is this
> latest php5 port ... though I don't know why this has hosed my XCode.
>
> However, I can try reinstalling XCode again and see if that makes
> it work ...

Not sure why Xcode (or specifically the gcc compiler) would be absent
now if you used to have it. But hopefully reinstalling Xcode (2.4.1
or 2.5) will bring it back.