Help installing gnome with macport

Tabitha McNerney tabithamc at gmail.com
Sat May 24 18:47:35 PDT 2008

Hello Frank, et al ...

I have a very recent version of the libcaca MacPort port file (did a
selfupdate if I'm not mistaken after your changes synced a few days ago). I
had no problems fetching the distfile for libcaca (specifically port -v
fetch libcaca --> got me libcaca-0.9.tar.bz2) but when I attempted to
install it after the fetch phase (e.g., port -v install libcaca), I got a
distfile checksum error:

Portfile checksum: libcaca-0.9.tar.bz2 md5 c7d5c46206091a9203fcb214abb25e4a
> Distfile checksum: libcaca-0.9.tar.bz2 md5 80f5e3828d740d3292d05ddfd6c280ed
> Error: Target org.macports.checksum returned: Unable to verify file
> checksums
> Warning: the following items did not execute (for libcaca):
> org.macports.activate org.macports.extract org.macports.checksum
> org.macports.patch org.macports.configure org.macports.build
> org.macports.destroot org.macports.install

If you look at the current portfile for libcaca here:

http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/dports/graphics/libcaca/Portfile

You'll see that the checksum is stated to be:

checksums        md5 c7d5c46206091a9203fcb214abb25e4a

And this is a conflict as the output of port -v install libcaca asserts. I
started to look around on the libcaca home page to try and find an original
copy of libcaca-0.9.tar.bz2 but I could not find this resource file. How
sure can we be that the source hasn't been tampered with since the Portfile
was created? Maybe I'm worrying too much. What should we do?

Thanks,

-T.M.